Friday, October 22, 2004

Skype shows up at my doorstep

I check my email this morning and what's there but my brother-in-law from Taiwan sending me a link for PC Home Online and asks me to download Skype.

Like everyone with overseas family, we've been happy with the lower cost of long distance these days. We only pay 5 cents per minute for great service from EOT. Only a few years ago it was more than 25 cents per minute.

Asia is adopting technology rapidly, particularly Taiwan. They immediately put it to practical use. Email (and spam) and the web are everyday tools for business. But it's not usually my relations pushing technology my way. Last time I was in there, I spent two days ridding a PC from CWS and teaching proper PC hygiene.

On downloading I ask myself why this isn't just another IM program. After all, they all have voice chat. But come to think of it, even though I've know it was there, I've never actually tried any of them.

So between the price (my favorite price is free) and the fact that I know that everyone that is using Skype will be able to accept a voice call (I guess that's why I never tried it before, I never found anyone to speak with) and the apparent huge penetration in Taiwan, I'm going to give it a try and let you know how it is . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home